About Me

My photo
Southsea, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I grew up in a semi-detached 1930s house in Croydon with my policeman father, nurse mother and younger brother. Ever since my childhood I wanted a career, which like my parents' was people-centric whilst not suppressing my creativity; architecture seemed to offer the perfect balance, and so I relocated to Portsmouth in 2005 to study for my degree at the university there. After graduating in 2008, I moved back home for my year out at Bell Associates Architects and Designers. I returned to Portsmouth in 2009 to study for my diploma. For my thesis foundation I designed a Community Hospice on the site of the Hilsea Lido; affirming my interest in existential architecture. Around this time, I wrote my manifesto Out of the Ordinary, which called for architects to create an everyday architecture of simplicity and honesty; based not on quasi tradition or nostalgia, but rather a hidden reality that ought to be revealed.

Thursday 28 October 2010

Nordic Transgressions | Orestad Church Competition (with Paul Cashin)

I worked with Paul Cashin to design a non-denominational church for a new community in a Copenhagen suburb. The congregation would first find a site in the scrubland outside the town, then build a fire which they would use to fire bricks made from clay on the site, which would then be used to build the church.

The central hearth is accessed from a tunnel starting beneath the bell tower in the town square, from which horizon and sky chapels radiate.

I also designed a clay votive candle to light an otherwise dark world.






Follow Paul's blog at emergentstudiopcc.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment